For 2021 Online Summer School of CUMT
Intercultural Communication(ICC) with The Chinese
B517, School of Foreign Studies, Nanhu Campus, CUMT
1) To provide basic theoretical knowledge on the subjects of intercultural communication, with the focus on the Chinese context. Contents include: concepts, definition, case analysis, cultural tips, etc.
2) To help learners develop a comprehensive knowledge of intercultural communication with the Chinese.
3) To cultivate learners’ intercultural competence of intercultural communication with the Chinese, especially at the regional levels.
REQUIRED TEXTS & READING:
1) Judith Martin, Thomas Nakayama. Experiencing Intercultural Communication: An Introduction 6th edition, Macgraw-Hill Education, 2018.
2) Nakayama, Thomas K.; Nakayama, Thomas K.; Halualani, Rona Tamiko. The Handbook of Critical Intercultural Communication, Wiley-Blackwell, 2012.
3) Nicola Galloway, Heath Rose. Introducing Global Englishes, Routledge, 2015.
4) Ingrid Piller. Intercultural Communication: A Critical Introduction, Edinburgh University Press, 2015.
5) Guo-Ming Chen, William J. Starosta. Foundation of Intercultural Communication. Shanghai Foreign Language Teaching & Research Press, 2007
6) YE Lang & ZHU Liangzhi. Insights Into Chinese Culture. Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press, 2008.
1) The participation and quiz in class;
2) The reports/essays during the class;
3) The group discussion and presentation.
All students should submit their reports/essays, using the following format, to the email: firstname.lastname@example.org
1) All pages should be numbered. All pages should have student name on header.
2) All technical reports should professionally include the parts of abstract, main report content, discussion, reference.
The scores will be given according to your report/essay. You will get:
A if 80% ≥
B if you get 70% to 80% C if you get 60% to 70% D if less than 60%